Tuesday, December 22, 2009

November in a Nutshell

I haven't been too loyal to my blog. Let me just tell you that my time has been served cleaning, wrapping presents, and tending to classroom holiday parties, times three. I love this time of year, but I will not hide the fact that it was a lot more enjoyable as a kid. Christmas was magical back then. It just happened, right? No, I've learned that there were two hard-working people behind it that made the season seem like magic because of a lot of hours spent preparing for the joyous day of Christmas. My mother was always a good decorator when it came to holidays. Every season has plates, table clothes, and an abundance of appropriate decor. I've learned a lot from her after years of celebrations and holidays; but let me tell you, it's no easy task. However, I can say that when I sneak around and see my kids playing with the nativity scenes and singing "Silent Night" it makes it all worth it.

Just a quick note on Thanksgiving. It was relaxing, it was just the five of us (a first), and it was filled with way too much food. We were able to get away the day after Thanksgiving for a week long family trip. It was great and filled with snow. I'll fill you in on all that later. I cooked away all day which resulted in enough food for twelve. So, we had Thanksgiving dinner for five nights after that. Once the fruit salad started tasting funny, we threw it all out. This Thanksgiving was one that helped me to see, once again, that money and things don't matter. I have so much to be thankful for right under my nose. I just have to take a quick glance at my beautiful, healthy family, and I realize that I've seen more joy than some do in a lifetime.

So, this is coming a month late, but I'm most thankful for my Savior who paid my debt in full when He was fully God and blameless. He built the bridge, with nothing but grace, for me to have a relationship with my Heavenly Father when there was no other way because of my sin. I'm thankful that because of His merciful sacrifice, I am free of condemnation. He gives me strength for today and hope for tomorrow even when, with my human eyes, I can't see it. I am also thankful for my family that I know I take for granted, at times, just because of the stress that everyday life brings. I've been blessed with three children that have taught me more and given me more joy than I could ever have imagined. I'm thankful that God knew exactly what the purpose of my life was even when I had no clue. I'm thankful for my extended family. I know that, even with all the many personalities on the table, I have received more support and love than I know what to do with. Okay, I'm done with the sappy stuff. Happy Thanksgiving on December 22nd.










1 comments:

Unknown said...

Grandpa Jim and I loved the pictures. It looks like Christmas was yummy and you're right your mom is amazing. She is always so gracious!

Grandpa and I, too are grateful to our Savior and for an eternal gift.

Thanks for visitng us over Thanksgiving we had a great time. We love playing balderdash. It has become a family favorite. And thanks for staying to see The Festival Of The Trees. We enjoyed getting to share it with all of you.