Friday, January 16, 2009

3 out of 4

Okay, so I finally finished book 3 of the 4 book Twilight series. I do realize that I am one of the last to jump on the pop train, and that these books are old news to many. To me, however, they have been an obsessed hobby over the last few months.

I never thought of myself as "a reader" until I finished college. I suppose I had only thought of my textbooks when reading came to mind, and even those were seriously neglected. I first started with my mom's "old lady" mystery books (Mary Higgins Clark), which I used to tease her about. She would be up at 3:00 in the morning reading them when I would come downstairs to get a bottle for Corinne. Now I understand why; sorry mom. They are good, and the only reason I call them "old lady mysteries" is because John thinks the author looks like one of the Golden Girls. So, who'd a thunk it? I like to read.

I was one of those ones who saw the Twilight movie before I ever thought about reading the books. My sister-in-law graciously sent me packing, on a plane, with a carry-on full of the four book series. That was a heavy bag. John knows that when I get into a book, it's all I want to do in my spare time. The problem here is that these books keep going.

I'm one of those people who needs it absolutely quiet while reading, or it will take me forever to get through a single paragraph. I can't tune out the noise around me. So, with that said, I've been caught in my car, numerous times in the tub, and up at 2:00 in the morning (alarm set for 6:00 to wake up for work) reading. I'm actually a bit scared to see our next water bill. The most embarrassing part is the fact that the junior high girls I teach come up and ask which book I'm on. Then, they start a conversation with me about their thoughts on the series. I thought removing the covers wouldn't give me away, but I always get caught. I guess I could be a member of the 13-year-old book club.

John feels neglected by my new distraction, and I keeping telling him it will all be over soon. Several times, he's grabbed the book out of my hands after breaking into the bathroom (cheap locks) and suggests that he read to me. I accept, reluctantly, knowing what kind of "out-loud" reader he is; I did take junior and senior English with this kid. I've finally caught on to the fact that about a page into him reading aloud, he starts to improvise without me knowing. As soon as I realized the book was starting to sound like a somewhat trashy romance novel, I got the joke; such a funny guy, that one.

As I wrapped up Eclipse, the third book, I was feeling a bit irritated at the fact that the story is not progressing quickly, and they keep dancing around the subject of the whole saga. So, what do I do? I pick up Breaking Dawn, the last book, and flip to the last page. First time I've done that, but now I can enjoy reading the book. It's ends, I think, the way I want it to. This is, of course, if I truly had strong opinions about vampires and their morality. There's nothing better than a friendly, trustworthy vampire.

So, yes, this is old news, but it's what I've been up to. The lack of blog entries can be attributed to life keeping me busy, and a good book or two. After the kiddos go to bed, I have a choice to make...TV, computer, do the dishes (boo!), or read a good book. I've been opting for the non-technological stuff.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update Elise and I have been really curious as to how they were coming along. I love the part of John's improv. I can just hear him now, and it made me laugh out loud as I read your comment.

Turning to the last few pages? I'm shocked. Not... once you know how it all comes out you can sit back, read and enjoy the journey.

Katrina said...

You have to read the whole book. I thought the 4th book went a lot faster than the third. I too hated reading until after college. Now I love it and am sad I don't have enough time for it!

Teisha said...

I can't believe you cheated. Never, Never read the last pages! I agree...the books completely take over your life. I'm a fast reader and got each book done in a day or two. But I purposely would hold off reading them because I knew for those two days I would be obsessed and it would be all I could do. You have to read the 4th book. That is all the best stuff! It finally puts an end to the saga. Good luck!

Courtney said...

I know, I know, I never usually read the last page first. I know you do it, Debbie, but I used to think it was a crime. However, with these books, I just needed to confirm the ending. I'm definitely reading the whole book. I just don't have to feel anxious now. Teisha, how did you read those in two days?? I'm impressed! :-)

B and L said...

I don't understand all you "readers"!!! I never the reader gene or the clean gene, Courtney, you got both!!!

Courtney said...

Let's not forget the spelling gene. I have all the audiobooks downloaded on my computer. So, if you do have the listening gene, I will gladly make you some cd's.