Sunday, April 5, 2009

Visiting Family


The kids and I took a little road trip last week to visit my sister's family and my dad. We had a lot of fun and wish we could have stayed longer but reality called. My niece, Victoria, turned 7 a couple of days after Corinne's birthday, so we made it in time for her birthday party (kind of :-) My dad just had the deck finished on his house, so one night, the kids had a good time roasting marshmallows on the new fire pit. On the way home, I somehow missed the exit to the highway I've taken several times, and I ended up in San Fransisco. When I started driving over the Oakland Bay bridge, I knew I had gone so far out of the way back to my sister's house. I was tired and missing my own bed, so at that point, I just decided to go not stop and drive all the way home that night. At least we got to experience a pretty drive through the Bay area. The kids and I survived the 15 hour car ride, and we got home at three in the morning. It was actually a nice drive after 9 pm when they all had crashed. I was free to listen to my audio books and let the Starbucks, Excedrin, and Diet Pepsi do their job. I only shook for a little while :-). The bathroom break in Barstow at 1 am was interesting. We made it home in one piece, and, of course, the kids woke up around 9 am. Why can't children sleep in? Highlight of the trip....jumping on my sister's new trampoline in her backyard. She kicked me off because I exceeded the weight limit with 5 other children on there...whatever!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures! You just needed to take Apollo along to complete the traveling experience :)

Katrina said...

I can't believe you did that trip on your own! Regan wants me to go visit his family but I don't think I could do it and they only live 5 hours away! I am glad you guys had fun!

Teisha said...

You are amazing! I HATE driving long distances. The best time to drive is definitely at night when all the kids are asleep and you are buzzed on caffeine:) I'm glad you survived. The big question is...will you do it again?