Sunday, July 19, 2009

Quick Trip to So Cal

I recently found myself childless for almost a week. My mom took the kids on a trip to visit my sister and brother-in-law's house in Yuba City, CA so the kids could hang out with their cousins for a while. This was her idea, and I was pretty nervous at the beginning. I knew my mom and sister were very capable and then some, but I just get that feeling like something bad is going to happen if I'm not there to oversee every second of their little lives. After the first day or so, I chilled out, and my prayers seemed to calm all the anxiety.

I've never had much "me alone" time as an adult. I went pretty much right into the mom and wife role as a very young adult. As I sat there on the couch when John was at work, and the house was very quiet, I couldn't decide whether or not I liked it. It was nice to do the things that I like to do without having to be responsible for anyone, but I was a little bored, and I did not like the quiet. I even joked with my sister, telling her that I had resorted to playing with the dog. I got a lot of reading and movie watching in. Half of the movies we own I've never seen, so I started with the ones that everyone else says are so good. With all the distractions, I still found that I missed my babies so much, and I prefer their chaotic little voices over the silence.

John and I decided to take advantage of his weekend, and we took a little trip to the ocean. I love priceline.com, by the way. We stayed in Newport Beach for a couple of days and enjoyed way too much food, drink, and sun. I'm once again as pink as a lobster. That cool coastal breeze deceives you; it's not good to fall asleep on the beach. Our favorite part of the trip was the dinner we had at the Chart House in Dana Point. It was beautiful, and the food was so good.

We did some driving up and down the coast, which John hates, but I love. We never got as far as Venice Beach before John decided he'd had enough of driving, and we went back. I always have this little desire to go to Malibu and visit the college that was not for me. Pepperdine was where I would have liked to have gone to school, but alas, it was not....stupid ACT's!

It's always nice for John and I to get away by ourselves and have some of the newlywed time we didn't get much of. We also have some of the best conversations when we are driving on a trip; that's a plus. Last year we almost moved to Irvine on an impulsive whim because of a job offer John had. After being there in the cool air, I almost wish we would have. I should mention that the one bedroom apartment we would have been able to afford would have me singing a different tune right about now. Why does living by the ocean have to be so expensive?

Wow, I just wrote a lot about nothing. To sum it up, the kids had a super fun time, and everyone made it home safely. It takes one super Grammy to act as momma for five days. Thanks to my mom, sister, and bro-in-law, Lex, for allowing the kids to have a great trip. They didn't even seem to miss me much...boo hoo.

Balboa Island Treat



Scenery we rarely get to enjoy



Dana Point






We were at dinner on Balboa Island, and John wouldn't stop taking pictures. He said this is the look I give him everyday of my life. That can't be true.

1 comments:

Becky Chatwin said...

So fun! I wish I were in San Diego right about now.