Saturday, December 13, 2008

In a Fog

Fog is something I have seen in movies, scary movies. Fog doesn't really exist like that, right?? Well, that's what I thought until a couple of days ago. Being a desert rat my whole life, fog is folklore to me. I've always thought highly of California until now. It has Disneyland, much of my family, the warm beaches, the cold beaches, and beautiful scenery. This was my distorted view of CA, but not anymore. Thursday night, as I drove with my kids and mom to visit the sis in Yuba City, CA, I thought my death was going to include a semi and a sad call to the husband from the California highway patrol. I was in shock at the huge blanket of fog that surrounded me for about three hours. I could not see more than ten feet in front of me. My only hope of staying in the lane was by hyper-focusing on the two lines on either side of me. I'd heard of this evil fog getting people into big trouble on the road, and now, I'm a believer. I've never been so stressed in my life. As I look at my hands right now, I have three blisters on my palms from gripping the wheel so tightly. The kids were in the backseat fussing about snacks, which DVD to watch next, and who had dropped their toy on the floor. It was all I could do to not turn into Incredible Hulk momma and start some smashing of my own. I was very resentful of the fact that they were not sensing my stress level. My oldest, Christian, figured it out quickly and soon became nervous himself. I was praying like a mad-woman as my eyes started to play tricks on me. I considered just pulling over onto the shoulder and crying, but being in the middle of nowhere land, hanging out on the side of the road, didn't sound like such a good idea either. Well, did we pull through?? Eventually we made it to our destination, two hours behind schedule. Kids don't seem to appreciate being pulled from the car, sleeping at 2 am. I finally have a pro on my "Living in Las Vegas" side of the board. So, to put it mildly, fog is evil; I completely understand why it is in most scary movies now. It's terrifying.

4 comments:

B and L said...

And right now you are driving home in pouring down rain!!! Fun fun!!

Courtney said...

I can deal with the rain. I can actually see, thanks to the wipers.
Coy told me he wanted to live with you, and he wouldn't be sad not to see his mommy everyday. I then proceeded to guilt him into changing his mind.

B and L said...

I think out of your 3, Coy would be the one that I would allow to live with me!!! :) Until he said "Uhhhhhhh" too many times, then I would send him back!!!

Teisha said...

Yeah, I usually drive duringe the day to go to and from Vegas. But, in California's defense it doesn't happen a lot and Utah is way. I hope you had a good time!