Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Humpty Dumpty Fell on Her Head

So, Corinne was our first. We have two boys that have yet to break a bone, need a stitch, or even require a trip to the emergency room for some rough and tumble act. We have relatively calm children compared to all the stories I've heard from friends and family. My kids like to play but not too rough. They like to have fun and do exciting things, but when they feel there is a risk or any anxiety involved, they shy away. I suppose this is actually a blessing. I must be so lucky because of some praise due to me for being such an angelic child :-) We all know it has nothing to do with John's genes (he was THAT boy).
Well, out of my three kiddos, Corinne is the closest thing I have to a daredevil. On Monday, she was enjoying another ride on her daddy's shoulders (something we call a duh, duh duh-an inherited title). Well, dad was holding his princess on his shoulders along with a computer tower in his hands. Corinne pulled one of her circus acts where she just falls backwards. It's so much fun; a thrill because there is always a mommy or daddy to catch her. Sadly, we've encouraged this monkey-like behavior because she is our only child who squeals with joy over the rush of free-falling. It's kind of fun to have a kid who plays rough....so what if she's the little lady of the family. Well, on this particular occasion, daddy, once again, caught her. The problem was the concrete pillar he was leaning against while waiting for me to come out of a store. With perfect aim, she slammed her sweet melon against the perilous pillar, making an inch long gash under her pretty curls. After some examination, John and I decided this was definitely a cut that would require a trip to the doctor's office. Let's be honest, it was John doing the exam; I'm not capable of dealing with trauma. I cover my ears and walk away. And I wanted to be a nurse once upon a time....Ha Ha Ha.
So, the doctor agreed that this was a boo boo that required more than a band-aid and some neosporin. When the doc said staples, I cringed. Staples sound so much worse than stitches, but actually I learned they are less invasive and a much quicker process. I opted for her to have the topical anesthetic instead of a shot to the head (Yikes!!). She was so brave through the whole process, and the only concern she had was that her lollipop was almost gone. The nurse graciously provided her with as many as her little heart desired. The doctor put in four staples, and it wasn't until the third had been put in when Corinne said, "mommy, that boy is hurting me." She was a trooper, and now she has metal in her head for a week. It looks so awful to me, but she hasn't even mentioned it. We can't wash her hair or really brush it this whole week. So, her already crazy, curly hair is now looking like a comfortable home for a family of blue-jays. It's been an interesting last few days; never a dull moment. I guess there has to be a first time for everything.

Waiting for the doctor to prescribe some metal to the head.

2 comments:

B and L said...

Poor baby. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would though. I do want to see a picture of her hair before you can wash it for the first time!!! That will be the one and only really scary picture!!

Teisha said...

Poor thing. It looks awful! I'm glad I haven't had anything like that happen before. But I'm sure it will. I'm sorry about your computer. I hate computer stuff!