Friday, February 27, 2009

Poor Coy Coy

Is this really all necessary for one very minor filling? As you can tell by his bright red cheeks, the nitrous oxide was not helping his anxiety at all. I actually think it made the panic a lot worse. He kept saying, "I want this thing off my nose right now!" I thought my kids were immune to cavities, but alas, Coy just had to get the first one of the group. My boot camp style, twice a day brushings have failed. The whole pink balloon thing in his mouth was a new one for me. They said it kept him from swallowing any of the yucky stuff, and it gave the dentist a clear working space. This was a cavity being filled not open-heart surgery. He was very brave, and he survived. I do have to say that Spongebob playing on the ceiling above him helped the absolutely-no-fun situation. There's nothing worse than seeing your baby in pain and panicked at the same time. It's tough being four.

Just so it's clear, I don't enjoy taking pictures of my children in sad predicaments. The dental assistant was trying to explain the pink latex square to Coy. She asked if I had a camera so I could show him what it looked like later. Corinne has been deeply disturbed by this picture. She can't exactly make out what she is seeing, and she's worried about what was being done to her big brother.

3 comments:

B and L said...

Poor baby!!! Lukey will tell him all about his horrible stories!! I never went back with Luke or Tori, they didn't want me to come.....but I'm glad I didn't see them looking like that!!

Katrina said...

That is so sad. Bryn has the worse teeth, like me, and gets fillings all the time. We have never had to do that balloon thing though. It looks so weird! I hope he doesn't have to go through that again.

Teisha said...

That is so sad. So I guess it is good I have never taken any of my kids to dentist, ha, ha! BTW I love the Senior Prom pic...so cute!